As a parent of a child with an eating disorder, you’ve probably experienced a range of difficult emotions since discovering that your son or daughter has a life-threatening problem with food. Fear, sadness, anger, guilt, disbelief—it’s hard to watch the child you’ve raised from an infant struggle with something as serious as anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorder. However, it’s important that you allow yourself to feel one more emotion: hope. That’s because with the right eating disorder rehab center, your child can fully recover and go on to live a healthier, happier life full of endless possibilities.
In this post, we’ll explore what it’s like to get started with professional rehabilitation for eating disorders. Stay with us to learn just how easy it could be to get the help your child needs.
Calling an Eating Disorder Rehab Center for the First Time
Many parents experience intense anxiety about picking up the phone and punching in those digits. Is the person on the other end going to judge me or my child? Am I a bad parent for sending my child to rehab? Can we even afford eating disorder rehab?
Take a deep breath.
The only thing that matters in this moment is taking the first step. We can’t speak for every eating disorder rehab center, but here’s what happens when you first call Adolescent Growth:
1. A member of our caring admissions team is going to listen to your story—your whole story.
2. When you’re ready, we’re going to explain in great detail how our eating disorder rehabilitation program works.
3. Then, we’ll answer any questions you may have regarding the care we offer, our treatment team or the home in which your child will live.
4. Next, we’ll work together with you to determine how you’ll pay for your child’s eating disorder treatment. As in an in-network provider with most major insurance companies, there is a good chance your benefits will cover most (or all) of the cost of treatment.
5. Finally, our medical director will review your child’s unique circumstances to determine how best we can help.
If there’s no waiting list, this entire process can be completed in just 24 hours from the time you place the first phone call to Adolescent Growth.
What It’s Like to be Admitted into Rehab for Eating Disorders
Starting on day one, our specialized treatment team will get to know your child and develop a personalized, comprehensive rehab plan that addresses not only the eating disorder itself, but also any co-occurring or underlying mental health or substance use disorders. With a plan in place, we’ll schedule a family therapy session—usually within three days of admission—to begin identifying and working through any problems at home.
Are You Ready to Take the Next Step?
We hope you found this content helpful, and that you’re now feeling more at ease about getting your child started with rehab for anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorder. The best way to take the next step is to call us now at 888-948-9998. If you still don’t feel ready to speak with us, the next best option is to fill out our online form and let us call you back at the time of your choice. Finally, you can also start by verifying your insurance benefits. No matter how you choose to take that first step, you’ll be glad you did.